Wednesday, 11 August 2010

CAITLIN IS HERE!










Caitlin is here –

or is it ‘Gatlin’, after the gun that became one of the most effective non-explosive projectile weapons ever built – an original weapon of mass destruction. Having read that again I am sure the title should be:

GATLIN IS HERE! She is six years old; our great grand-daughter.

Example conversation: “Can I use Grandma’s computer?”

(You get an idea of what I’m up against in our family – Grandma is 81).

Me: “No! It has a problem – some of the files are corrupt”

(It runs haphazardly on Windows Vista – don’t they all).

Grandma: “It’s only one programme – she can’t hurt it!”

Gatlin: “I know how to use a computer!" (with a barely tolerant glance in my direction)

Me: “O.K.”

(Defeated in round one, I move with Gatlin to Grandma’s computer).

Me: “Why are you clicking that?” (Internet Explorer button)

Gatlin: “I’m going on line for Moshi Monsters”.

Me: “Use Google then”.

Gatlin: “My Dad showed me how to do it and that’s the way I do it!”

(Her Dad is a computer wizard. See what I mean about “our family”).

(One of the problems with Grandma’s PC is that I have lost control as the ‘Administrator’ and cannot get the PC to do tasks like loading program upgrades which, in turn, stops me loading new programmes like ‘Moshi Monsters – not that I have ever tried to load Moshi Monsters until now.

If you think I may be a computer illiterate, I suggest you Google:

“Windows Vista - administrator problems”,

when you will discover according to the world at large that Microsoft, originators of Vista, are the true computer illiterates of this world!”)

You know what’s coming next don’t you? We are on to Moshi Monsters at the click of the mouse and deep within the game in seconds.

Gatlin: “You can go now- I don’t need your help”.

I am 84 and now have a better understanding of how easy it is to go to war to rid the world of weapons of mass destruction!

1 comment:

  1. Shame you wrote this. The last-born and I enjoyed it very much. However, when I tried to show him how to locate your blog he snatched the laptop out of my hands mumbling that Caitlin could do it quicker. This, I fear, will be the new mantra.

    ReplyDelete