Do you ever read those warning leaflets that accompany
medicinal wares that usually start off with: “Read all of this leaflet carefully before you start taking this
medicine” and follow on with “What the tablets are and what they are
used for” and “Before you take”
and then the frightening “Possible side
effects” ?
“Take a seat: what
can we do for you?”
“Thank you doctor. I
am suffering from very painful cramp in my leg and ankle during the night ”.
“Please stop there:
this is quite a normal problem in elderly people; something easily treated with
quinine. I will give you a prescription for some quinine sulphate tablets”.
“That’s a quick
solution: thank you so much”.
“Hello again: how
is the cramp; are the tablets helping?”
“I haven’t taken
any yet doctor: I am very worried after having read this leaflet that came with
the tablets”.
“Let me see what
the problem is?” taking the leaflet and beginning to read the contents.
Possible
side effects
Like
all medicines, Quinine sulphate tablets can cause side effects, although not
everybody gets them.
Contact
your doctor at once if the following effects occur:
.
allergic reactions – itchy skin rash, swelling of the lips, face, throat or
tongue, flushing, fever, asthma or sensitivity to light
.
cinchonism – abdominal pain, diarrhoea, disturbed vision (blurred vision,
changes in colour perception or field of vision, total blindness), headache,
feeling or being sick, ringing in the ears or impaired hearing, rashes, loss of
consciousness, fits, shock due to heart problems, irregular heart beats, death.
If these occur while taking Quinine sulphate tablets for leg cramps,
treatment should be stopped and a doctor contacted straight away.
Tell
your doctor if you notice any of the following side effects or notice any other
effects not listed:
Muscle
weakness, excitement, agitation, ‘spinning sensation’, confusion, loss of
consciousness, coma, death.
“And so, what
actually is your problem?”
“It says death
could occur through taking the tablets. I am afraid of death if I take them”.
“I shouldn’t worry
about that: it states quite clearly not
everybody gets the side effects. If you do suffer you are much more likely to
get one of the lesser effects like ringing in the ears or total blindness”.
“But what happens
if I am the one who is affected: how
can I tell you the problem if I am dead?”
“Well in the first
place you won’t need to tell me because your cramp will have gone. Secondly you
will not have to worry about taking the rest of the tablets. People were taking
quinine a hundred years ago in tonic water when they were drinking gin and
tonic”.
“But they are all
dead now!”
“That’s true, but
we do advise people not to overdo it with alcohol: it can cause problems”.
“Is there no other
cure?”
“How old are you
now?”
“83”.
“Not really worth
worrying about then is it? I would take the tablets and if the cramp doesn’t go
away come and see me in a month if you are still here”.
“Thank you doctor.”
“A pleasure: take
care!”
The leaflet is issued by drug manufacturer Actavis of Barnstaple,
UK.

No comments:
Post a Comment