A tuffet, pouffe or hassock is a
piece of furniture used as a footstool or low seat. It is distinguished from a
stool by being completely covered in cloth so that no legs are visible. It is
essentially a large hard cushion that may have an internal wooden frame to give
it more rigidity. Hassock has special association with churches, as it is used
to describe the thick cushions employed by the congregation to kneel on while
in prayer. Another sense of the word tuffet is an inflatable landing area for
precision accuracy parachute landings.
I am indebted to Wikipedia for this information.
The great drawback to people helping you stay indoors to avoid problems with snow, when the only thing you want to do is get out of the house for an hour, is what to do next when you have cleaned the house from top to bottom; read the newspaper from front to back; turned your back on the great volumes of rubbish on the television and read your book.
"You know my view; but it's no good asking me if you should do it when you will do what you want anyway" is the spur I need to tackle the job in the first place.
Having removed, washed, pressed and replaced the covers on the three-piece suite, which involved a bit of wrestling, I thought I would do likewise to the seat of the pouffe. Simplicity was not an option because I realised some dismantling of the stapled top was inevitable. For the sake of filling the day however I ignored the potential problems.
This is the seat cover, washed and hanging up to dry . . .
. . . . and this is the result of having removed the seat, to remove the cover, to remove a million staples (well a few dozen anyway), and to replace and affix new bits of material to enable the seat to be re-secured to the frame (in due course) when I have pressed the cover and wrestled it back onto the seat.
And all this after I have tidied up and unblocked the electric stapler I bought years ago to do the same job which I recall at this late stage I had to unblock a million times because it kept jamming up with bent staples.
In the end the cover dried and I spent what seemed like forever getting all back together again.
Going back to the beginning of this post, I hope that my pouffe has become a hassock so that I may pray I can find someone else to so this job if it needs doing again in the future.
But, I am certain that it became a tuffet, because if I ever needed an inflatable landing area for precision accuracy parachute landings, it was during the renovation of the pouffe.
This is one I made earlier!
No comments:
Post a Comment