Wednesday, 26 January 2011

End of the Rainbow - part 2 !

To my regular readers, you will know of my recent misfortunes with broken window handle, faulty oven clock and seal and dripping shower. I forgot to mention dripping kitchen sink tap because, fortunately, it was inside - just - its five year warranty and Franke sent me a replacement valve free which otherwise would have cost much money to supply and fit.


Today I had arranged to go to the Sorrento Restaurant in Stratford-upon-Avon (has never failed to please) to lunch with an old work colleague who I hadn't seen for twenty odd years. The car wouldn't start. The AA man came promptly, diagnosed a faulty battery which needed replacing, but managed to start the car.
Honda, at Coventry, where I called in at their suggestion on the way to Stratford for someone to have a look to see if they had a temporary battery, couldn't obtain the correct replacement until tomorrow - for more money!

While they were inspecting the car, I talked with a showroom sales-lady.
"Do you know the off-side rule?" - this being the latest way to chat-up ladies I gather.
 "Yes! I do as a matter of fact, which is more than they did on Sky TV"
Shows how careful you have to be making sexist remarks!

I arrived in Stratford over an hour late, scraped the bottom front of the car on a kerb in one of those car parks with ramps that were designed for midget cars, had an enjoyable lunch, retrieved the car from the multi-storey, handed the ticket to the attendant at the exit who gave it back:
"sorry mate; this is no good". 
I hadn't worn the coat since we went to London - see blog 14 January - and discovered I had given him, in error, the theatre ticket counterfoil for "End of the Rainbow".


Somehow I think that is an apt comment on my last seven days or so.
Descended from Harold of Hastings - so history says about the Goodwins, Godwins and Godwinsons - you may think I am having the same sort of luck that Harold experienced with William the Conqueror!

No comments:

Post a Comment