Tuesday, 23 October 2012

Live for the day!

This is Stratford upon Avon Golf Club under a sunny sky. Wasn't far removed from this picture even under today's misty October conditions: not that it mattered because this is a club where sunshine awaits whatever the weather.

This is Howard Middlebrook, Head Greenkeeper, who took time to come over and spend a few minutes with us and who, like the Professional, the lady behind the bar, the lady who did the catering, the lady arranging the flowers and some of the members, offered a more than cordial welcome.



Imagine a distant mist in this picture and you might share what we enjoyed on the occasion of our 'old Mann's outing'. Mann's spelt correctly because that's where we all spent part of our working lives. If you go back to yesterday's blog post you will see that 'old man's' would not be wrong, a phrase confirmed by the following true conversation:

"Just look at the colour of these trees: I wish I had brought my camera".
"Martin has a camera in his mobile".
"I don't know how to work it".
"Let me have a look".
"Stand under those trees, I will take a couple of pictures".

Trying to discover how the camera worked and admiring the scenery and taking the pictures took a few minutes, but there was no-one behind us waiting to play.

"I've lost my ball".
"You must have left it on the last green".
"No! I remember putting it in my pocket".
"That's strange, I've lost mine too".
"And I have: how can three of us lose our balls at the same time?"
"We haven't! I remember now; we all drove off before we started taking pictures: the balls are all down the fairway!"

We should have finished after we had played 16 holes, before we really tired; but that would have spoiled our great achievement of the day, actually playing 18 holes when golfers of our age never play more than nine.
The score?  That had nothing to do with a fine day out with more than a few laughs. We each gave ourselves 6 on the last hole, a par 5.
How many did we actually take? For the life of me I can't recall;  failing memory in old age has occasional benefits!

"Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof": 

 live for the day, without a care for tomorrow. We did that today.



No comments:

Post a Comment