Sunday, 11 March 2012

History up the Cut


The English Civil War Battle of Cropredy Bridge, first built in 1312, was fought on 29 June 1644 between a Parliamentarian army under Sir William Waller and the Royalist army of King Charles. The King’s Cavaliers were withdrawing towards Daventry but managed to repulse an attack by the Roundheads on their rearguard along what is now more or less the route of the A361 Banbury to Daventry road. If you have ever travelled along this stretch of the A361 you will understand how Waller’s army became demoralised and ineffective; mutinied and deserted in large numbers.  I feel the same almost every time I motor along what must be the road with the greatest number of road signs in England.  
Or, perhaps it stems from the knowledge that Parliamentarian Lt.Thomas Goodwin was captured by the Kings Army! I don't know if he was one of us or what happened to him, but I play bowls with an Ian Goodwin whose ancestors hail from the other side of Banbury and if Thomas fought like we play bowls I don't wonder he was captured.

This preface is merely a lead in to our latest exploration of England's canals hereabouts which started today at Cropredy Bridge on what was the most glorious day of the year so far, with the willows beginning to take on their spring colour and everyone smiling and stopping to talk.


And although there were craft on the canal other than the narrow boats, this was England at its most relaxed and peaceful.



But in August, the world will change for Cropredy when Fairport Convention fans descend on the village, as they have done for years past, for their weekend convention. 
Then the ghosts of King Charles' and Oliver Cromwell's armies will mass once again to demonstrate that it is possible for 20,000 people to gather without the intention of chasing one another up the A361.  

No comments:

Post a Comment