Here we are on a canal bridge, where else, reflecting whether or not to continue a blog that no-one ever, or rarely, has anything to say about. However, as I do it really for my own pleasure, I shall continue.
Before I begin may I ask my
thousands five readers to write if they don't want a copy any more and not to forget to open up the blog by pressing
watman-somewhat.blogspot.com and not just read the email. Clicking on the pictures will offer a much better view.
This tranquil scene is what you may have come to think of as typical of canals. However, on Saturday, under the bridge, we came upon Braunston marina and a sale of 'time-shares' in narrow boats. You could have acquired a twelfth share in a boat for anything up to £10,000, plus insurance and a share of the upkeep, which would have entitled you to two weeks hard labour in the summer and possibly one in the winter, opening and closing lock gates.
Always assuming you could get out onto the canal from places like this:
or this!
Of course, you might strike lucky for a lot less and pick up a boat like this
or even this: not quite sure if it is a boat or a submarine!
But always keep in mind the pleasures and unusual sights that canals can bring like this multi coloured duck.
Sometimes they come as a surprise:
I am referring here to the background, not the lady modelling for the title role in a new film about life of a boat owner's mistress.

I wonder how they got it through that small door?
All this and a lot more was in Braunston on Saturday: that's Braunston church steeple on the hill in the background.
I almost forgot to add this last bit.
Always nice to get back after a few hours roaming.
No comments:
Post a Comment