"Look at the time, fancy a cup of coffee?" he asked. We'd been talking for two and a half hours at that point.
"I shall have to go" I said. That was an hour
and half after the coffee!
"What did we talk about for four hours? Patricia
will want every topic when she gets home this evening."
" Can't remember really; other than we came to the
conclusion that we were past putting the world to rights".
146.9p per litre for petrol in two garages I passed -
that's £6.68p a gallon here Norm or $8.85 for a US gallon: will be over 150p a
litre without doubt:
the lack of decent jobs for thousands of university
graduates:
people who thought they were coming up to retirement who
must go on working:
pubs and businesses closing daily through excessive
rents, taxes or lax banking practices:
why don't we arrest binge-drinkers, a national problem,
instead of closing a section of main road into town to avoid motorists running
over drunks lying in road?
why do rich Arabs live in the desert?
do we suffer English weather so that on the four days a
year when the sun really shines we can say: "no-where else in the world
like it if the weather was like this all the time"?
did you know Leslie had died?
haven't heard from Martin for ages?
spoke to him the other day; still working and still
insisting he will be retiring soon
how's your daughter?
emigrated to Canada
is your son still teaching in Korea?
he came home: the future is uncertain: parents there are
forcing their children to work day and night towards decent qualifications and
the Korean government is very worried and likely to stop night teaching;
holidays?
went to South Wales last summer, Abersoch: got there late
afternoon at five o'clock but it was a closed;
that's like Victoria on Vancouver Island - "England
as it used to be" they boast - they still have early closing one day a
week when everything shuts at noon and every other day closes down at five
o'clock
in the east of England they have a major problem with
moths: the very large immigrant population there is invariably smartly dressed
because they buy clothes from up-market charity shops who are supplied from
the wardrobes of people who have had
clothes hanging there for years and from whence where the moths originate
we had a problem with moths eating the carpet under the
piano
never knew moths were musical!
I went to see John
today. He's older than I am by a couple of years which gives you some idea how
old he is! We worked together for ten years in the seventies in the 'beer'
business. Hadn't seen each other for some time. We reckoned we'd had the best of it - but
then, that's old men talking.
At least we had a nice sunset today.
No access to Tower Park tonight as road was totally blocked by traffic queuing for fuel that doesn't exist. I know this because I was queueing at 4 this afternoon at which point there was no diesel and little petrol. (result of government minister suggesting people should stock up with fuel due to impending tanker drivers' strike)
Try living with one of those who's applying for every job under the sun and is permanently bad-tempered.
Won't get arrested as a) can't afford to go to pubs and b) have wine indoors so am not a binge drinker because I drink more than once a week which is worse
Rich arabs don't live in the desert...see Jonathan Meades who claims all the biggest joints in Paris are owned by arabs
Abersoch is in North Wales. I went there when I was 22. It was also shut then.
Further:
Why did a window cleaner want to charge me £65 for cleaning all my windows today?
Why did my insurance company increase the annual quote they gave me by £40 2 weeks after they agreed to pay for a claim I made?
Why did they decide the increase would only be £1 after I phoned to tell them they were immoral?
Why have they not sent the cheque for the claim?
Why is it forecast to be cloudy on Saturday when I am making my 2nd attempt to go stargazing?
Why would anyone ever want to go to Abersoch?
No access to Tower Park tonight as road was totally blocked by traffic queuing for fuel that doesn't exist. I know this because I was queueing at 4 this afternoon at which point there was no diesel and little petrol. (result of government minister suggesting people should stock up with fuel due to impending tanker drivers' strike)
Try living with one of those who's applying for every job under the sun and is permanently bad-tempered.
Won't get arrested as a) can't afford to go to pubs and b) have wine indoors so am not a binge drinker because I drink more than once a week which is worse
Rich arabs don't live in the desert...see Jonathan Meades who claims all the biggest joints in Paris are owned by arabs
Abersoch is in North Wales. I went there when I was 22. It was also shut then.
Further:
Why did a window cleaner want to charge me £65 for cleaning all my windows today?
Why did my insurance company increase the annual quote they gave me by £40 2 weeks after they agreed to pay for a claim I made?
Why did they decide the increase would only be £1 after I phoned to tell them they were immoral?
Why have they not sent the cheque for the claim?
Why is it forecast to be cloudy on Saturday when I am making my 2nd attempt to go stargazing?
Why would anyone ever want to go to Abersoch?

No comments:
Post a Comment