We are getting on a bit and doubtless set on our ways. A little old-fashioned perhaps but we try to keep what we have in a way that makes us feel comfortable and grateful for what we have.This is an example: the bathroom - with shower over! - as described in trade literature. Always like this, and not cleaned just for this picture.
So, why is it I feel guilty. Because of the colour - that's why!
It's - AVOCADO - aaaaaaaaaaaargh!!!
According to the Guardian newspaper, an avocado bathroom will knock £6,000 off the value of your house if you ever decide to sell. Not that I care too much about that: you just couldn't put a white suite with those tiles and £6,000 is less than the cost of a complete new bathroom. As a 'friend?' once said: "it's a bit naff". But he also said we needed patterned coloured tiles on the kitchen window cill to brighten up the view.
This is the view from the kitchen that needed "brightening up"!
What's the problem then?To renew the bath seal along the back of the bath where it meets the wall, I want to buy one of these which costs between £4 and £5. There's nothing much wrong with the current seal, but I like to keep things clean and tidy.
Go to any builders'merchant or DIY and try to buy one. You can have white, ivory, brown, beige and transluscent. Google "avocado silicone bath sealant" and see what you get. Here are some recent responses:
"You won't find that anywhere".
"Avocado? That's very old fashioned, they don't make it any more".
"Don't know what to suggest: there's no such thing as far as I know".
"You could empty out a container, push back the pump mechanism and fill it with a mixture of white and the dark green we stock".
My clothes - and I - get covered in paint just redecorating a flat wall: I hate to think how I would unseal myself from the floor or bath trying such an operation.
"I read that people are tired of white; everybody has white; avocado could come back into fashion", I suggested.
"You'll wait a long time sir! won't be in my lifetime: white's the only colour". Mind you, he was a bathroom salesman.
Imagine Nicole Kidman in that bath, suggesting that the sealant needed replacing. Do you really believe she would get the same answers?
Problem solved: there's nothing wrong with the bath!
However, it raises another problem: the lady of the house wants Nicole Kidman out of her bath.


No comments:
Post a Comment